I have a dark confession: I don’t like houseplants. I know for some that’s a crazy concept and it makes me out to be a nature-hating city dweller. That is far from the truth. I love nature and the outdoors. But, for whatever reason houseplants aren’t my thing.
Unfortunately, my boyfriend is big into the houseplant scene. In an effort to be the type of person who can compromise for the ones she loves (blah, blah…) I concocted a devious plan to bring pops of color and design to his green friends. I decided that in smaller, aesthetically interesting pots I could learn to love the plants, or at least cohabitate with them.
This plan brought me to Pinterest and then to Home Depot – a dangerous string of events. My creations were inspired by posts on Eva Daiberi’s blog Miss Renaissance and Amanda Wright’s blog Wit & Whistle. The posts offered tips and techniques that proved to be advantageous.
Overall, this project was fairly cost efficient. I escaped Home Depot only $25 poorer as I already had paints, brushes and some plants. I bought a succulent and a cactus because I think they’re more interesting than the large leafy green plants we already had. My suggestion is to underbuy when you’re taking on a new DIY project as you may have things you can substitute in at home or you may end up hating the project. If you don’t like that philosophy just make sure to save the receipt. Here is everything I needed:
-Acrylic paint and brushes
On To Painting
If you want vibrant, deep colors you first need to prime your planters. Basic white acrylic paint works fine. Primer helps display the color as it is lighter than the paint and the pot. I wanted to experiment with multiple looks so I tried some pots with and without primer.
I painted this entire pot white because I wanted to cover it completely with a bright yellow. After it dried I used painters tape to block off a triangle. It took two coats of paint for each to ensure it was opaque.
Next I played around with color blocking. I took two approaches here, one with a rubber band and one with tape. Wrapping a rubber band at a diagonal around the pot helped me create a clean line with a nice curve. These pots look like they were dipped in a paint can.
To get the ombre look below I taped off the bottom half of the pot. It gave me a clean line level across the pot. I painted the bottom half red and then worked yellow paint into it from the top to create the fade. I made sure not to paint over the faded area too much so as not to mix orange.
After a bit of repotting and resoiling I now have colorful plants scattered through my living room. This was an easier project than I originally anticipated and a great deal of fun! I would definitely recommend it for anyone that wants to spruce up the look of their houseplants.